Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summer Fun on the Mainland

(Waiting for the concert to start... my mom stayed home with Dylan)

We have been having a good time here on the mainland. I sent our main camera home with Deven because I wasn't sure how I was going to carry it all home. So I don't have all the pictures I will have to post our Lake Powell Adventure when I get home. Thanks to Lisa for taking these pictures for me. We had a rough start but finally made it home. We took a red eye flight home but had some "electrical problems" right when we were suppose to take off. We ended up being delayed 2 1/2 hours on the runway before we finally took off. Because of that we missed our connecting flight into Phoenix and had to wait another 2 1/2 hours until we could get another flight to SLC. But we made it. What a long trip. We spent the first week down at Lake Powell with the Cox's ( I will post pictures later). Then Deven and I were able to ditch the kids and go to SLC for our Anniversary. We stayed at a The Inn on the Hill (thanks to a recommendation from a a friend.) We loved it. We went to dinner shopping at the Gateway and even did a session at the SLC Temple. It was a great break. Deven had to fly back way to soon and then I headed to Gunnison to see the Sorensen's. It was time to celebrate the 4th and all of my family came in. You have to love small town celebrations. We had so much fun!! We went to a "Neil Diamond Impersonator" concert on Friday. Only in small towns but it was so fun. We danced and acted like we had never grown up. It was so much fun to be with the sisters. They had fireworks after and then of course the parade and park the next day. Nothing beats a small town parade and all the candy. After we went to my Grandmas for a hug BBQ. The kids had fun playing in the water and I enjoyed visiting with all my family.
Afterwards we wanted to get our picture taken with him and of course we had to buy a CD... my Brother in law Rick is a die hard Neil Diamond fan so we thought he might appreciate his impersonator.
Waiting for the parade to start on Saturday. Gracie painted her own shirt thanks to my sister Sharon and her creative ideas to let the kids make their own 4th of july shirts. Gracie loved it!!!
Gracie going down the slide. I loved this picture!!
Of course the train ride is a must we have done it every year we go to the Gunnison Celebration.
What would a carnival be without Cotton Candy.
My dad and Dylan at the parade drinking his chocolate milk. This is what is great about living in a farming community they pass out chocolate milk at the parade. Dylan enjoyed some as well.
Dylan playing in the "kiddy pool" at Grandmas he loved to splash and get wet.
Gracie and Sarah had a blast on her slip and slide. There is so much more to post but I just had to post a little bit.

6 comments:

Scott and Tara said...

Shirlyn, I miss you so much! It looks like you are having a ton of fun! How long will you be in Utah? Maybe we will be there at the same time and can meet up. I will call you and we can chat.
Tara

Jennifer Payne said...

I am so glad you got to visit home! Nothing is better then being with family!!

Bobette said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I missed the hometown celebration. It would have been fun to see you. I'm glad you guys had a good time!

berry family said...

I love small town celebrations. I love the concert picture. YEAH for you and Deven getting away for a night. Can't wait to see you.
Rashelle

Tevita and Jodi said...

I can't believe that we were both there and I didn't see you! You would think that "home" being so small that we would have run in to each other. It looks like you guys had fun though!

Itzel said...

I love your cute pictures. What are your parents names? I have some good friends that are from Gunnison.