Saturday, February 21, 2009


Akaka Falls. This waterfall was 442 ft high. It was really cool. The picture right across is of Deven and Gracie at Waipio lookout. It was cool to see the cliffs and the black sand.

Our family at Akaka Falls and then we headed to Black sands beach. Deven got to snorkel with turtles but Gracie and I enjoyed the black sand and the turtles on the beach. It was pretty cool. Deven said snorkeling was pretty crazy to look down and see black at the bottom of the ocean.















We roated marshmallows back at our cabin. We were actually cold the elevation at Volcano state park was 4000 ft. It was so fun to light a fire and roast marshmallows. The next day we hiked. It was so fun. We hiked 5 miles around the rim of the crater and then down through the middle. Gracie did awesome. It was so cold. We were not prepared Gracie and I had to buy hoodies just so we didn't freeze. The next day we headed back to Kona and went on a whale watching adventure. I ended up getting sea sick but Gracie and Deven loved it. I never get sea sick... go figure. We ended our trip in downtown Kona were we looked in the shops had dinner and of course a shaved ice. As you can see by the end Gracie finally passed out. She fell asleep while we were waiting for our plane. It was so nice to have a break from everyday life and get away even if it was to another island.

8 comments:

Candace said...

It probably felt good to put hoodies on! This weekend has been gorgeous in Utah, nearly 50 degrees and I'm loving it. It's weird how refreshing a change in climate can be.

I'm pretty jealous you can pull off a 3-day trip to the big island. Your pics are great and it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I could do a few days in nature with sea animals and lots of green.

Oh, and I love Gracie's hair. She's such a little grown up! See you in a few months?

Jennifer Payne said...

That looked like the best trip. I can't believe the animals - so cool. Gracie is so darling!

berry family said...

I am glad you guys were able to get away. I agree a vaction is always nice, even if it is only for a few days. Always great to spend time together as a family too.
Rashelle

Sorensen Family said...

Tyler says your making him VERY jealous! He has never been to the big island- just oahu and kauai.

Amanda said...

what a fun trip. I am so glad that you got to get away. I cant wait to go to the big island. I am glad that you guys are back though.

Chantell said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time! Seeing your pics make me want to go back again soon!

Julie said...

Oh so fun!! I was asking Brett if he would take me to Hawaii and told him we could even visit my cousin. Now I really want to go. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Fenton Family Journal said...

you know...there's just something about Deven that I like... Shaved heads are great! Blake Fenton