Saturday, December 27, 2008

We hope everyone had a Merry Christmas

We hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. We were a little nervous this year, seeing as it was our first year without family. But it turned out to be a nice Christmas after all. We had a little Christmas Eve party the night before with some other families in the neighborhood who didn't have family around either. We went caroling and then came back to have treats and hot chocolate and cider. We also let the kids act out the Nativity Scene. It turned out to be a nice night. Gracie was so excited the next morning and couldn't wait to tear open the presents. So to our family as promised here is a look at Gracie on Christmas morning. The excitement as she walked down the stairs and realized Santa really did come.
She had asked for a closing eyes baby and a crib. It didn't take her long to guess what was in each gift from Santa.


I was proud of myself as I pulled off 2 surprises for Deven. This is the first one. In our ward is the "famous Bone Carver" he is so talented and sells his merchandise here in Hawaii. Anyways I asked him if he did custom orders and he said he did so I had him make this medical symbol necklace for Deven. I think it turned out quite well and I thought it was a great sentimental gift for him. He did an amazing job just look at all the detail.
My second surprise for Deven was his first surfboard. He has really gotten into surfing lately. One day I would like to get him a really nice board, but this is a great beginning one. Anyways Gracie and I picked this out for him. I am house sitting for a friend who went home for the Holidays so I asked her if I could hide it in her house until Christmas. On Christmas morning I set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. and snuck out of bed and walked over to her house got the board and snuck it into the living room then I had to sneak back to bed without Deven knowing. He woke up for a minute but I just told him was hungry and went down to grab a little snack. He was convinced and fell right back to sleep. He was just as surprised as Gracie in the morning. It was so fun to be so sneaky. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a hard time being surprised and keeping surprises I always get so excited and tell early, but not this year.

Gracie after all was said and done. After we got done opening gifts we made a big breakfast with walnut pancakes, eggs, and bacon (something we never seem to do anymore either since Deven leaves so early) We just enjoyed watching Gracie play with her new toys and then headed to the beach for some afternoon fun. It was so relaxing and I must admit I enjoyed the sun on Christmas a little more than I thought I would. A neighbor of ours invited us over for Christmas dinner and so that is how we ended the day. We definitely missed being around family but as promised here is are way of sharing our day with you enjoy. P.S. On a side note my brother Lee just got home from his mission tonight. I am excited to call and talk to him tomorrow. I wish we could have come home for it, but soon enough we will be making a trip. Welcome home Lee

10 comments:

Smileyhappychan said...

So fun! Good job keeping secrets. I am VERY impressed! Merry Christmas!

Amanda said...

what a great christmas you had. I love surprising people. I hope you had a happy birthday as well.

Jennifer Payne said...

I am so glad that you had a Merry Christmas! It is always hard to spend holidays alone, but of course you made the best of it!

Adrienne said...

Happy Birthday Shirlyn. It looks like a fun Christmas. Great Surprises!!! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

It looks like you had a great Christmas. It looks like you are having a lot of fun in Hawaii.
Happy Belated Birthday, Shirlyn.

Candace said...

Nice job on the surprises! I'm totally the same way--I get so excited and end up giving away my surprise early.

Eydie tells me you'll be here in a few months. I'm excited to see you and the new little one.

Oh, and tell Deven only G-rated comments on my blog. The in-laws read it and still think I'm innocent.

Bobette said...

Happy late bday.

About Us said...

Yah, I was reading and waiting for something about birthday surprises. Hope you had a great one!!! Sounds and looks like so much fun. I'm glad you have great neighbors & friends to help make it all more "homey".

berry family said...

Love the pictures of Christams morning and what great gifts for Deven. Sorry I am still trying to get the internet so I am behind a little. Have a great week.
Rashelle

Julie said...

You did so great! What a fun surprise. It is hard to surprise the bigger people in our life. I'm glad Santa didn't miss you there. Happy belated Birthday too. What did you get?