Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Book Time

I just had to write about the new thing we started at our house. I have so many books I want to read but just never feel like I have the time to sit and read. So I decided this year we were going to have book time at our house. Every day after Gracie finishes her homework she picks the room and we take our books and some toys for Dylan and get ready to read. I set a timer for 30 minutes and during that time Gracie has to read books or work in some of her activity books. The first time we tried it Gracie didn't think it was so neat but now it has become my most favorite time of day. Dylan plays and tries to get my book, but Gracie usually reads at least one book to him and then makes sure he has several books to look at as well. I forgot how much I love to read and it has been such a great time for all of us. Gracie even asks everyday when will it be book time. So sorry no pictures, but I just wanted to share one of my most favorite times of my day!

8 comments:

Bobette said...

It is so nice to be able to sit and read a good book. You'll have to let me know of any good books you recommend. Your kids will absolutely love reading because you've spent that time everyday doing it together.

Smileyhappychan said...

I'm glad to know that it works for you! I'm looking forward to starting our own book time when N is a few years older!

Shayla D. said...

What a great idea! You're setting a great example for your kids and laying a foundation of learning for them as they grow older.

Angie said...

Oh! I love that idea. There are so many books I want to read and I end up reading in 5 min intervals (in between the kids' being busy). I love the picture on your header. What a cute family you have.

Amanda said...

this is such a good idea. I want to try it but I find I run out of hours in the day and then I say oh I should have done that. Thanks for sharing your fun idea

About Us said...

What a great idea - I'm not much of a reader, but that's a great routine to start - I love it!

Okay, so I haven't been good at leaving comments for a while. Dylan is getting so BIG! What a cutie & Gracie suddenly looks so much older - what adorable kids! Looks like you guys keep busy and have so much fun.

Derek & I are coming to Oahu in May, the 7-14th. I'd love it if we can get together. Maybe you can share some of the best places to visit?
'Shelle

Our Ohana said...

How wonderful! I love seeing my kids read too, but we haven't dedicated a reading time like that. I love the idea!

berry family said...

I love to read and it is hard to find a time to read with kids. What a good idea and it is crazy how are kids can read. Man. time goes by so fast.
Rashelle