Friday, August 7, 2009

Gracie Starts School !!!

Well it's official, Gracie has started school. After a long anticipated summer and even a long week of orientation her first official day started today. This means she got to ride the bus for the first time. Of course I was the embarrassing mom taking as many pictures as I could. Gracie was OK with it because her friends mom's were there as well taking pictures. We woke up early so she could catch the bus at 6:50 a.m. (early I know). But it was easy to wake up this morning she was so excited. She goes to Wheeler Elementary. They have to wear t-shirt uniforms Monday through Thursday and then Friday is Aloha Friday so they can wear whatever they want. Gracie had a half day on Wednesday and she had a ton of fun, but they didn't get to ride the bus. I was so excited for her, I know she is ready for school and she will do well.
Gracie getting on the bus for the first time.
Gracie sitting by one of her friends on the bus. (Yes I asked if I could take a picture, the bus driver let me)
The bus drops them off at school about 7;15, but they can not go into their classrooms until 7:50. Here all the schools have doors that open to the outside, there are no halls like I was use to. So they offer them breakfast before school starts. We decided this was a good thing it gives her something to do while waiting for school to start. Plus we don't have to worry about eating before school. So yes on the first day I followed the bus to school just to make sure she knew what to do when she got off the bus, and to help her figure out where to go and get breakfast. I am glad I went. They said there would be people there to help, but there was not enough help for all the kids that were there.
Now it's time for school to start so it's off to her classroom, where Mrs. Scott is her teacher. I won't see her again until 2:30 p.m. It is a long day for the kids, but I think she will enjoy it.
This is Gracie on her half day of school. That is one of her many "fancy" Wheeler Elementary" T-shirts. At least it makes picking out clothes easy.

Gracie with her lunch box. She has decided to take a lunch some days and some days eat at school. We look ahead and see what she will and what she won't eat so we know when to send a lunch and when she can eat there.

11 comments:

Bobette said...

She looks so excited. I'm sure she will enjoy school. Is she in kindergarten?

Jennifer Payne said...

Those pictures of her in school are darling. I can't believe she is that old already! How do they grow so fast!

Shirece said...

You over possesive mom...how embarrasing...you followed the bus to school...good thing she is 5 not 16.

Matt and Lisa said...

Oh, my little gracie is growing up too fast. I still remember the day she was born. What a cutie. I do agree with Shirece a little bit! :) Just kidding, I would do the same.

Shayla D. said...

Too cute! I'm so glad you took pictures - it's the only way to remember everything. She looked so proud heading off to her first day of school.

berry family said...

I can't believe our kids our old enough for school. She looks like she is enjoying it; that is always a bonus. Fun times.
Rashelle

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

Wow, school already. I forgot Gracie started. Does she love it.

Cher said...

i can't imagine having a kid in school, but i know it will come up quickly. glad it all went well

Chantell said...

It was so cute to get to see the kids off to school! Gracie looked adorable in her little outfit..I can't belive how grown up they are!

Jenn said...

I'm stalking your blog. lol Gracie looked so cute in her school clothes (yes even in her "uniform"). Amelia sure does like her. She is one of her favorite people at church.

Cher said...

p.s. my good friend who lives in hawaii, over by byuh, just found out not too long ago she's having a baby. i told her i would ask you if she had any questions. :) her first one, what hospital did you deliver at?